- To have a personal in depth experience of the flow of prana in the asana, utilizing the chakra sounds and pranayama and to use this experience for personal healing, balancing, and depth.
- To be trained to lead a basic hatha yoga class utilizing the Prana Yoga methodology to enable your students to experience the above.
- To co-create a nurturing environment in which we are able to deepen our connection to ourselves, family, friends, each other, and the planet for a nine month segment of time.
- To deepen your understanding of anatomy and physiology of the physical and subtle bodies, the core yogic scriptures, yoga and healing, and to directly experience the chakra energies.
1. Practice Teach
You will be teaching a 55-60 minute class during the first May or June weekend of the course. The class will be made up of a group of students that you have been working with all year (support group) and a teacher facilitator who will direct the facilitation process after your class to make sure you have used the methodology to create depth and safety. They will share with you with support of the group your strengths and weaknesses. It is a very safe, encouraging process. You will also lead 2 shorter classes mid-way through the course to see what you have integrated so far and where you need to work to pass the final practice teach.
2. Written Exam
There will be a written exam near the end of the course consisting of ~40 multiple choice, matching and true false questions. Thirty correct is considered passing. The exam is only on material learned directly in the class, the manual, and scripture reading. The average grade is 34 and it is designed to be very passable if you keep up with your reading. Most find it a positive experience and a validation of knowledge and experience gained. We will have 1 or 2 shorter quizzes mid-way through the course to help you gauge how you are doing with the material.
3. Attendance and Punctuality
In order to be certified you need to attend all of the classes. Plan to come to all classes even if you have aches or pains or are mildly ill, etc., as they are an incredibly healing experience on many levels. Let me know in advance if you know you will miss one or more ½ days so that we can plan a way for you to receive the material. Should the unforeseen arise, by special arrangement, he will try to arrange for makeup opportunities in a variety of ways. You need to attend the three practice teach days, in February, April & late May.
4. Emotional Readiness to Teach
Occasionally a student is not quite ready for emotional reasons to be a yoga teacher and thus is unable to create the safety and clarity needed to support the students in a healthy way. Reasons may include unclear sexual boundaries, spilling over of emotions in class, aggression towards the students, among others. If this seems to be a problem we will let you know well in advance so that you may work on the difficulty and get appropriate support. In these cases we may choose to not certify you until the issues have been resolved.
5. Personal Practice
We ask that you practice the prana yoga postures for at least ½ hour, 5 days a week, that you keep up with your reading, and home teaching assignments, and that you journal your daily experience for at least 5 minutes at the end of each day, including a 1-2 page summery to give to me each month. I will go over these, making comments and answering any questions you have and return them to you.