Swing Yoga & Aerial Yoga
Contact us for classes and upcoming workshops
Aerial Yoga classes use a device that we refer to as swing, it hangs from the ceiling and helps support the weight of the body, so that you can learn how to achieve proper postural alignment through relaxation rather than effort, enhancing a relaxed and peaceful state of mind as well. The classes are designed to build strength and flexibility while maintaining its key component: having fun! Through the use of the swing the classes/workshops include swinging, inversion, traditional and adapted Yoga poses that uniquely encourage conditioning of the mind, body and spirit. Princeton Yoga uses the Omni Gym™ for its Aerial Yoga classes and workshops. The uniqueness of these swings is that they have special bunji-like springs which add an exhilarating zero-gravity bounce to the exercise that feels simply exquisite. Also padding, multiple handholds and a built-in height adjusting system make this type of swing more comfortable to use than the traditional swings.
Who Can do Aerial Yoga/Yoga Swing?
Anyone can do it! You do not need any prior experience in either yoga or aerials to come to class. Many moves and poses might be challenging – like any new and unfamiliar physical activity. Just like Yoga, you will feel your strength increase as well as your own body awareness and developing good postural habits.
Why do Aerial Yoga/Yoga Swing?
Fun You will be exploring a new dimension! Laughing and letting go of the ground might give you a new perspective. Be open for anything and everything. Flight Where else do you get a chance to fly without getting on a plane and paying sky high prices? Soar in class and lift your spirits, your heart rate and your perception of what your own body can do. Fitness Ever marveled at acts like Cirque De Soleil with performers dancing suspended in the sky creating beautiful shapes up in the air? They make it look easy but aerials is anything but. An Aerial Yoga class combines the strength training, discipline, control and grace in both aerials and Yoga making you feel stronger, fitter and like you’re always walking on cloud nine. Flexibility Yoga poses with, on and assisted by the Aerial Yoga hammock can give you a more intense stretch than traditional Yoga poses on their own. You’re working with your own body and holding it up suspended in the air against the hammock.
- Practice advanced inversions and backbends without neck or spinal compression
- Develop upper body strength
- Stretch deeper without experiencing strain in the lower back because the fabric supports part of your body weight
- Increase your spatial intelligence by experiencing new and exciting ways to move through suspended space
- Develop a strong core by trying new shapes and positions up in the air which cultivates deep inner core stability
- Improve balance through use of the fabric
- Be able to align your spine correctly in each pose with careful support of the fabric
- Bring more oxygen to your brain by gentle inversions on the fabric
- Reinforce proper body alignment carrying onto your daily life and throughout your other fitness practices
Who Should Stay Grounded?
We may do inversions in class and while being upside down can be quite beneficial, there are some who have conditions which make it dangerous for them to invert. If you have any of the below conditions, please consult your physician before participating in a swing workshop/class:
- High or low blood pressure
- Neck Injuries
- Heart Conditions of any kind
- Eye Problems
- Other conditions – check with you doctor to make sure it’s ok for you
Would you like to purchase a Swing?
Princeton Yoga is affiliated with Omni Gym™. Go to their website for more information and to purchase a Swing. Please use this link as it will support us in maintaining and replacing our equipment as needed.